Dave Ramsey published a list of habits of the wealthy versus the poor. I used it in part to compile my own list of positive life habits I wanted to adopt for myself. I use the list from my previous post as a guide to success and kind of a mission statement to keep me in check. Building wealth or success takes dedication beyond anything I have experienced in my life.
(Disclaimer: Dave Ramsey’s list is his own and I used it for information only. I am in no way stating that all poor people are lazy, degenerative gambling, junk food eating, television junkies. Please read his article for his defense of this list.)
1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day.
2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.
3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically four days a week. 23% of poor do this.
4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% of poor people.
5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% of poor
6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read two or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% of poor.
7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% of poor.
8. 80% of wealthy make Happy Birthday calls vs. 11% of poor.
9. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% of poor.
10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs. 2% of poor.
11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% of poor.
12. 79% of wealthy network five hours or more each month vs. 16% of poor.
13. 67% of wealthy watch one hour or less of TV every day vs. 23% of poor.
14. 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% of poor.
15. 44% of wealthy wake up three hours before work starts vs. 3% of poor.
16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% of poor.
17. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% of poor.
18. 76% of wealthy believe bad habits create detrimental luck vs. 9% of poor.
19. 86% of wealthy believe in life-long educational self-improvement vs. 5% of poor.
20. 86% of wealthy love to read vs. 26% of poor
21. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.
I can say that one of my bad habits has been a lack of specific written goals. So I am going to write down my goals and add them to my daily affirmations. This will assure me that my career goals are present in my mind daily. Hopefully, I have motivated you to inventory your habits and make changes to help you become more productive. Wealthy/successful people do not stumble upon a pot of gold. They construct their lives in a very paticular manner to give themselves the best possible chance for success!
Dream big, dream often!
PS. I said I would keep you updated on my weight loss. Since I started tracking my calories on Dec 1st I have lost 7 lbs. Healthy weight loss occurs at about 1-2 pounds per week. So I am on track but a little behind due to the holidays. For those that have decided to lose weight or make any other positive changes in your life I would love to hear about it. Email me at DRaygolf@yahoo.com.