I have been focusing lately on two areas that I believe hold the key to unlocking anyone’s potential and allowing for the freedom to dream chase: living a healthier lifestyle and paying down debt. I have received tremendous feedback from a lot of you about losing weight or as I prefer to say, living a healthier lifestyle. Several emails have asked me what I have found to be one key that has helped me shed a few el bees. I gave it some thought and I have found one key that helped me along the way.
As most of you know I am a huge fan of religious history and I stole this saying from my college professor: “Make the familiar strange and the strange familiar.” He would say this to encourage students to stop and look at ancient texts from a new perspective. After a document or topic has been discussed, read, discussed, read and discussed again, it can be difficult to see in a new light. So the observer must step back, pause and develop a new “eye”, so to speak. The topic of weight loss has been beat to death and I will bet there are thousands of “diets” being advertised and Shared on Facebook, with people jumping from one to another. The word “diet” has come to be used for a temporary change in an eating regimen to shed pounds in a short amount of time. Few provide success, with the majority being fads that join the rest in the pile of failed ventures. It is time for us to make the familiar strange and the strange familiar.
I decided in December to change or Transform my mind as it related to my weight loss and stop worrying about the numbers on the scale! Instead, I was determined to develop and live a healthier lifestyle. I decided to embrace the times that I wanted to eat Oreos and enjoy the times that I wanted a Culvers burger. BUT, those times could not represent my lifestyle. I focused on eating clean and healthy 80% of the time while not destroying my hardwork the other 20% of the time. I used my Monday weigh-in as motivation only, not as the goal. My goal was to develop a habit of making better food choices most of the time while limiting the junk food calories over the span of 1 year. I know our failure as it relates to weight loss is our fixation on the scale so I pretty much neutralized its power.
Because my plan was long-term (by long-term I mean forever) I knew my body would gradually find its natural balance over a period of time. My conversations with experts led me to realize that I should expect to lose 1 lb per week eating from a reasonable, healthy menu. So as long as I hit my 1 pound mark each week, I know I am on the right track. If I have a bad week I learn from it and get back to making better choices. It is that simple.
I think too many of us get caught up in diets and fads and pounds lost. And when we are not quickly excelling we get frustrated and quit. Transform your thinking to focusing on living a healthier lifestyle and let your weight loss be a secondary benefit and motivator. Develop the habit of eating more fruits, vegetables, fish and turkey. Think about weight loss in terms of healthy living and as a marathon not a sprint. Drop the fad diets, juicing, low carb, paleo, blah, blah, blah. The problem with these fads is they are not sustainable over a very long period of time, nor were they designed to be implemented in your life for the long haul. So inevitably the fad dieter is left with a “what do I do now” problem upon its conclusion! How many can relate to that problem? I am guessing most.
Remember my post on how we make life more difficult sometimes? Well, I always try to take complex ideas or problems and treat them like fractions in math. First you must reduce down to the most common denominator. Don’t let the information overwhelm you. What percentage of carbs versus protein multiplied by the inverse of nonsaturated fat minus body mass index divided by the population of Nevada…good lord my brain wants to explode reading some articles on the subject. No wonder so many of you are confused and frustrated! Eating right is as simple as shopping on the exterior portion of the grocery store, limiting grains/pastas, eat lean turkey and fish and buy fresh veggies and fruit. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever step foot in the center aisles unless you are buying spices. Just to reiterate…never, ever, ever, ever! Got it? Fruits…good. Frozen dinners…bad. Fresh veggies…good. Boxed foods…bad. Ground turkey…good. Chips Ahoy (although good)…bad!
I hope you find my view on the subject helpful as I truly want everyone to live life healthy, void of preventable disease, medical problems and premature death. I believe in you and am always available for support, just leave a comment and I will reply. Be sure to remember my 3 rules: LIKE my FB page, SHARE with your friends and family and Subscribe to WordPress. The more you share the more people we can help live long, prosperous, healthy lives!