Healthy Living Update: 4/27/15

Healthy Living Update: Today was a scheduled weigh-in for me.  I only do this periodically so I don’t lose my long-term focus.  I believe society is so deeply rooted in the diet craze and so scale focused that it interferes with the true goal: to live a healthy LIFESTYLE!!  I focus on eating the proper food 80% of the time and not completely negating my hard work the other 20%.  I have never read this anywhere I just use a common sense approach and it seems to be working so far.

 

Anywho, I weighed in at 176.6lbs!! down from 177.8 last Monday; just above my expectation of losing 1 lb per week!  So to celebrate I allowed myself a lunch at Mc Calister’s Deli: turkey/ham club with half a baked potato WITH cheese and sour cream (I have eliminated Culver’s from my Monday funday plans, sad, I know).   And I know what you are thinking…and yes, I am a wild and crazy guy!

I started my living healthy plan December 1st, 2014.  Remember that post?  Time For Me to Change   Seems like a lifetime ago!  My starting weight was 192lbs and I wore a 36″ pant size.  After 5 months of common sense eating I have lost 15.5 pounds and wear a 33″ pant.  My only exercise has been to walk the dog 2-3 times per day and I do the warmup to Insanity when my body allows.

I have enjoyed my 80/20 common sense approach.  I really focus on behaving and controlling my urges during the 20% portion.  For instance, I can eat cookies, but not all of the cookies.  Some candy, but not all the candy all the time.  Honestly after 5 months I find my cravings easier to fend off.  The thing that I have enjoyed about my approach is it’s pressure free! I simply log my calories, eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies and lean meats and only 80% of the time. No rigid eating schedules or wierd food lists and no complicated recipes. Just common sense. And it has been fun and enjoyable!

If you are struggling with weight issues, please change.  Tomorrow might be too late and I want you to be around for many, many years!  If you commit to a healthy lifestyle versus “dieting” you will succeed!!  I am not the exception, you too can do this, but it takes you wanting to change.  My knees, hips and back feel so much better now that I’m not carrying around an extra 15lbs of fat.

Do something today that your future self will thank you for doing!

Share

13 thoughts on “Healthy Living Update: 4/27/15

  1. We do not keep any scales in our house because of the negative connotations associated with weight. This is actually on the recommendation of my wife’s therapist/nutritionist because she is recovering from an eating disorder. Just like you, we want the focus to be in healthy lifestyle decisions and not “labels” that can potentially have negative body image issues.

    1. I believe less scale use is a great habit. I use the scale sparingly as I wrote, but will eventually eliminate it completely as my body balances out. Many people do not realize that weight loss does not necessarily mean health either.

  2. Congrats! Losing weight is one of the toughest things to challenge in life, you’re doing great, but don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Stay strong. 🙂

  3. Congrats on your success! I have been doing the same thing and in the last two months I have lost 11 lbs! It’s been the easiest challenge I’ve ever done, because I am not trying to make unrealistic expectations for myself. Just common sense… smaller portions, taking more walks, making wiser choices when it comes to food. Simple and easy! 🙂

  4. I never liked the idea of stepping on a scale every day (or like some people I know) every time you “turn around”. Your plan makes sense to me, and every expert say losing weight slowly is the best way.
    Good luck to you!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: