So many people have been emailing me about blogging tips that I thought I would put together a post with a few of my tips. I am in no way an expert on blogging, so keep that in mind as you read. On to the tips:
- Produce good, original content (the most important tip!). What do people want to read? Or better, what is your purpose for writing? I was talking with Amusing Myself Musings a few days ago and we were discussing this very topic: content. Often, if you are not getting readers, revisit what you are posting. Find a topic people will be interested in reading AND returning! My personal favorites are those blogs that talk about a topic of which I have no experience and/or is written from a personal perspective. One of my favorites, to give example, is Power Plant Men. I know nothing of power plants but I find the topic mesmerizing and Power Plant man always provides a great story, well written and usually includes a life lesson.
- Post enough to get noticed. I had someone email me last week asking how to get more people to notice her blog. I visited her page and she had not written a new post in 3 weeks! There’s your answer. If enough posts are not hitting the reader or available for tag searching, your reach will be limited. And limited reach equals limited readers and views.
- Learn to use tags properly. This is easily the most underused tool in blogging. Opinionated Man at Harsh Reality, http://aopinionatedman.com/, has written a great article on this topic which I recommend reading. Imagine being able to replicate yourself into a little computer person standing beside the WordPress highway. Bloggers are zipping up and down this highway and you stand on the median waving flags for people to see. Tags are your flags! They bring recognition to your post and page.
- Be open-minded and don’t get your feelings hurt. I encourage a wide range of opinions and not everyone agrees with me all the time. If you could read some emails I receive you would be shocked! I read and I dispose. Not all of the criticism is constructive, but some is very constructive! I do not take the criticism personal, even when it is down right destructive in nature. There are a lot of people in this world and some of those people have intentions to be mean, but still have valid perspectives! Remaining open-minded keeps you from pigeon-holing your blog.
- Be present in your blog. I read a lot of blogs and I can tell the bloggers that live their site and those sites that have the shingles falling from the roof! The more posts you make, the more comments you respond to, the more blogs you interact with, the more people will find your page. Why would you expect people to visit your page when you don’t even visit your page?!
- Learn about and use social media. I use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, LinkedIn and WordPress as my social media outlets; yes, i treat WP as social media! The more you utilize these outlets the more views your site will receive. And keep in mind if you produce good, original content people will share! All of these people using social media are begging for things to share, so give it to them. But you must be a part of the game in order to capitalize.
- Interact with other bloggers. You must get out and find other bloggers, read, posts, comment on posts and communicate with people; that is how it is done.
These are just a few little tidbits I have utilized in the last few months that I thought might help. I hope you all enjoy!