I had a thought last week that I have been contemplating a lot and figured it might be worth writing about. I know negative people that realize they are negative, but I am not so sure they fully understand the impact negativity is having on their professional and personal lives.
So I compiled a list of 11 ways negativity is ruining your happiness and how to change it:
- Being negative pushes away positive influences and attracts more negative people.
- A negative personality will result in isolation, which can create loneliness
- Negative personalities are less likely to recognize opportunities
- Having negative tendencies can cause cynicism
- Negative thinking usually prevents individuals from seeing the progress they’ve made in life.
- A negative mind can create resentment towards others
- Negative people are less likely to show compassion
- Having a negative viewpoint inhibits healthy relationships
- The negative thinker’s inability to see the good in themselves can cause deep sadness.
- A negative mind impedes one’s ability to give others credit when they deserve it.
- Negative thinking can greatly limit one’s income, thus creating financial stress.
Are these absolutes? Of course not. I used myself, a reformed negative thinker, as the basis for this list so it is not inclusive of all the bad things negativity breeds.
We see in this list many of the things I experienced when living with a negative mind, but how did I change my thinking? How do you slowly transform yourself from a negative thinker to a more positive thinker? The answer is simple: make an effort.
I used a few strategies to help with my conversion:
- Began doing volunteer work
- I practiced thinking before I would speak
- If I couldn’t find something positive to say I would say nothing at all
- Surrounded myself with more positive thinking people
- Eliminated a job that brought out the worst in me***
- Looked to nature to help me see the beauty in the world
- Began to recognize my own shortcomings to help me stop judging others
- Started an exercise regimen.
- Read and watched motivational and inspirational materials
When I began to switch my mind, I realized I was negative because I was not happy with myself. Exercise, nature walks, finding a more positive job and volunteering helped me tremendously. It all comes down to what you want for yourself: happiness or unhappiness. I am not sure many people would choose to be unhappy when presented with the options, but people choose to be unhappy every day through their actions! If you want to be a more fulfilled and happy individual, then begin doing things that will inject happiness into your life and your soul.
I recommend meditation and prayer, volunteering and spending time in nature as the 3 most important habits to develop if you want more fulfillment which will create more happiness in your life. Without these things you will continue to wallow in sadness, isolation and negativity.
Take time each day to realize you are in control of yourself and your reactions to events that go on around you. You can continue to act negatively and continue to get the same old, worn out results from life, or you can begin to transform your thinking and transform your results. But in the end do not fool yourself, there is a choice and it is up to you to create yourself in the image you want. I made the choice to change because negativity was eating me up inside. I hated complaining all the time. I hated being cynical. I hated seeing the worst in people. I hated every feeling being negative created inside of me. Therefore I knew I had to change and change I did.
Do yourself a favor and start involving yourself in more positive activities: volunteering, meditation, nature walks, etc. Begin your transformation journey today. If you need more suggestions or have something you would like to ask, feel free to email me through my contacts page. I am always available to help in whatever way I can!