Life can be difficult, but sometimes we fall victim to believing things that simply are not reality. And the problem with this thinking is what we allow ourselves to believe does become OUR reality.
Maybe events from our past have led us to believe all people are dangerous. Or maybe we believe that we have no control over what happens to us. And then there are some who believe life is truly out of their control.
And it is for these reasons that I beg people to be aware of the inventory of thoughts in their mind. It is easy to believe life shapes us instead of the inverse and it is because of this that I believe many of us truly are victims-of our own thinking.
I have put some thought to it and believe I have come up with a fairly accurate list of 6 mindsets people have that will always lead to underachieving.
- Looking to the future while neglecting the present. I see this mindset a lot. Let me explain to you that the future will not be what you want it to be unless you begin working diligently in the present to prepare yourself.
- Failing to understand that your life is shaped by your habits. Too often people live their life haphazardly and do not take the time to implement the specific habits they need to bring them more success like healthy eating, exercise, being organized, setting goals, etc.
- Jumping from one “passion” to another never giving any one of them a chance to take root. People who jump from one thing to the next rob themselves of valuable experiences and leave their life unfinished. Their life becomes a collection of unfinished hobbies, tasks, jobs and relationships. Pick something and see it through to completion.
- Allowing yourself to use excuses in an attempt to justify one’s shortcomings. I have spent a ton of time talking about making excuses. At some point you have to take responsibility for your position in life.
- Believing that there are no real repercussions to living a neglectful lifestyle. Don’t jeopardize your future by being irresponsible today. Put down the cigarettes and lay off the cheeseburgers!
- Ignoring the connection between the body, mind and spirit and achievement. The successful people I know all spend time educating themselves on how to grow mentally, spiritually and physically. They understand success in anything is tied to being healthy in all three aspects of being.
I wish I could implant in people the power of thought, but I cannot and unfortunately most people will live in a fog. The mass of the population think luck and chance play a larger role than they actually play. There are things each of us can do each day to prepare ourselves for the life we want to live.
Expect more of yourself and begin to hold yourself accountable. Begin getting your body in better condition. Start getting your mind sharpened. Meditate or pray and get your spirit aligned. Stop living an out of control life. Quit staying busy in order to distract yourself from the important things in life. I know I can get a bit “preachy” sometimes, but it is only because I care. I care even if I don’t really know you. I want everyone who reads my page to find the joy and success they want.
I just wish more people realized joy and success don’t always happen by chance-sometimes you actually have to put yourself in position to receive them.