The Purple Almond!
As a continuation of my “Ultimate Guide to Nutrients”, today I’ll discuss sugar. So, just what is sugar? Sugar is considered a “simple carbohydrate”. Here is a refresher on simple carbohydrates, from my previous carbohydrate article:
SIMPLE CARBOHYDRATES-consist of monosaccharides and disaccharides.These carbohydrates includes glucose. The function of glucose in the body is to provide the cells of the body energy. Other energy sources can be used, but it is the preferred fuel for the nervous system/brain and the sole energy source red blood cells. In other words, carbohydrates are a very important part of any healthy diet.
Here’s a breakdown of simple carbohydrates.
- Monosaccharides-1 sugar molecule
- Disaccharides-2 sugar molecules
- lactose-made up of galactose and glucose…found in milk and dairy products
- sucrose-made up of fructose and glucose…simple table sugar
- maltose-made up of 2 glucose molecules…not found in many food items, but instead made from the breakdown of…
View original post 601 more words